Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)

Powered By

Skin Design:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

Thursday, January 08, 2009

Healing

So, there is always bad, sad news in the world and if you're lucky, most of the time you might be moved by it, but you are not directly affected and can go about your life feeling pretty good. This new year promises to be the year of change and lots of things definitely need to be changed... the economy, our health care system, wars going on in the world. I think that the U.S. and the world are just holding their collective breaths until Barack Obama takes office on the 20th.

So, I've been one of the lucky ones, really. Though it seems lately the sad news is creeping into my life. Many of my Etsy friends are struggling with job layoffs and financial difficulties, relationship woes, health issues and the deaths of loved ones. Closer to home, my sister in law is struggling to find out why she has had a debilitating headache since November, my brother continues to struggle with finding his place in the world, my husband is terribly unhappy in his work (though he hates to feel ungrateful that he has a job when so many are losing theirs).

I turned 49 on Monday, and also learned that day that my grandmother had died early in the morning. She was in her mid-90s so had lived a long life, but as my uncle (who broke the news to me) commented, "it's the end of an era."

Today I received an email from my pastor. It was one sent out by the church office to all the members, but I feel especially touched by it today and am sharing it here today.

“Not every illness can be overcome. But there is always a margin when life can be lived with meaning and a certain sense of joy, no matter what.” Anatomy of an Illness - Norman Cousins

Blessing Prayer for Healing

May you desire to be healed.

May what is wounded in your life be restored to good health.

May you be receptive to the ways in which healing needs to happen.

May you take good care of yourself.

May you extend compassion to all that hurts within your body, mind, spirit.

May you be patient with the time it takes to heal.

May you be aware of the wonders of your body, mind and spirit and their amazing capacity to heal.

May the skills of all those who are caring for you be used to the best of their ability in returning you to good health.

May you rest peacefully under the sheltering winds of divine love, trusting in this gracious presence.

May you find little moments of beauty and joy to sustain you.

May you keep hope in your heart.

From Out of the Ordinary – Joyce Rupp

No comments: