Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)

Powered By

Skin Design:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

Wednesday, December 02, 2009

Dinner Party for 18: 3 Days to Go

Where DO the days go? Yesterday wasn't terribly productive toward the festivities on Saturday, but I did have lunch with a friend that is loaning me several things for the party, so there was that. And I finally finished decorating the tree, and remade all the beds. Party invitees have also been invited to stay the night if they don't want to have a designated driver.

So, you may have noticed the title. Yep, one couple couldn't find a babysitter. The only change I'll make is setting 2 less places. More food for everyone else! Speaking of food, I've started doing the make-ahead things. First the salad dressing which took me all of about 10 minutes (or less), but it's done.

The star dessert is a white chocolate cake from Piece of Cake, which I'll convince Roland to pick up on Saturday. The icing is white, and I've decided to also have a large bowl of strawberries with port syrup, which should look gorgeous, and, hopefully, taste great.

I recently bought this new cookbook:


and three of the menu items are from it: pickled grapes*, which are already made and tested; pimento cheese potato gratin, tested as well to rave reviews, and strawberries with port syrup. That will be untested, but that's never stopped me before. I made the port syrup this afternoon, which is super easy, but, surprisingly, messy. As it simmers, it creates a fine sugary mist that coated the stove and the floor.

*The pickled grapes met with mixed reviews, but it won't stop me from serving them.

Tomorrow is the big shopping day, making of the big centerpiece, and cleaning.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

The piece of cake sounds good!!! :D

Luster Canyon said...

Pickled grapes? Hmmm, I think you will have to post a review about these...never heard of this, sounds intersting.