Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)

Powered By

Skin Design:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

Monday, February 27, 2006

Venting

A quick vent about Rachel Ray and her cookbooks. It's not the time the recipes take or the ingredients... it's how many pans/skillets and burners the meals need. There have been meals that would go quicker if I didn't have to wait for the skillet to finish the previous step. That's all about that.

Last night I made the chicken divan "double duty" menu. For some reason it took me almost an hour. My chicken breasts certainly took longer than 8 minutes to poach (more like 15). And in the end it was pretty bland. I like my grandmother's chicken divan recipe better, and I think I could do it in 30 minutes (especially if I got a rotissirie chicken). OK I'm sure that I spelled rotissirie wrong, but I can't be bothered to look it up.

I've skipped around a bit for this week because Roland is on a business trip so it's just me and Kyle. Tonight we had the smoky orange bbq chicken sandwiches. The smoky orange sauce was pretty spicy and quite different from the KC masterpiece we're used to. It only took me 30 minutes but I didn't make the other 2 menu items. I mean really... red cabbage and beet slaw salad with currant dressing... what is she thinking. I actually bought the ingredients, but it just sounds too yucky for words. The baked beans with bacon really do sound good, but Kyle doesn't like beans and I don't want that much left over.

Oh, one more vent... Rachel's portion sizes. I've been cutting most of the recipes in half (she usually claims 4 servings) and they are still enough for 3 with some left over.

Kyle has recovered, and so far, no sign of flu for me or Roland ... knock on wood.

No comments: